Sunday, April 24, 2011

Japan with Richard Poon, Sam Milby and Ai-ai Delas Alas

(posted Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 9:08pm)

March 6 Friday.
The rains welcomed us as we arrived in Narita Airport. I was afraid at first because of the Japanese Immigration. I was afraid I might say the wrong things and be deported back to Manila (perhaps because its the first time I've been to Japan). Good thing, when it was my turn to talk to immigration, the guy looked like he just wanted the job to be over and done with so after checking my passport and other documents, he immediately proceeded with the picture taking and the recording of the thumb mark of my left and right index finger. Did I say right index finger? Alas, I don't have a Right Index Finger. So I showed the immigration guy my amputated right hand and he motioned for me just to press the gadget for the left finger. Then computer problems arose. It seemed the computer can't record my info and the guy just kept on saying something in Japanese... I was slight concerned because the computer kept having errors and I was having language barrier with the guy. Until I realized... He was just saying "Harder" with Japanese Accent (meaning press the gadget harder) and when I did press harder everything was recorded instantly.Apparently, when in a new environment, fear can also cause stupidity. Haha.

After we left the airport, the entourage was treated at the restaurant where a scene in the movie "Kill Bill" was shot. The we checked in at our hotel, "Sommerset Rippongi". Later on, our host, TFC Japan head, Jeff, treated us to a dinner at Nobu which costed around P50,000. We were done eating when Sam whispered to us the amount on the bill. For an ordinary Juan De La Cruz like me it was jaw dropping. It felt good because I'm not the one paying. Otherwise, I would have wept for that amount for weeks to come.

March 7 Saturday.
The concert proper was at Sunpearl Arakawa in Tokyo. The venue is very similar with Meralco Theater. Sound system was excellent and so is the staff.
Sam was an instant hit as his presence onstage was enough to jolt hundreds of women up from their seats. When he tried to go down the stage to interact, people just flooded against him making it impossible to move further.
Ai-ai breezed through her usual comic act and the crowds just went wild with her. She sang her rendition of Aegis classics plus Regine Velasquez' "I don't Want To Miss A Thing" (now if you'll ask me how she hit the high notes, well let's say Regine was also there in the Spirit).
Richard on other hand was the lesser known of the three, yet as he sang the standards (Portait of My Love, I left my Heart In San Francisco, Moon River, etc), the applause eventually became equal with Sam. His tenacity and raw talent onstage plus his Chinese good looks were more than enough to charm the audience- even those who just saw him perform for the first time. I brought 50 cds of Richard to be sold that night. Sales were not moving before and during the show. But afer the people saw him perform, his cds sold like pancakes. They were even asking for more.As Jeff of TFC said, "He was a revelation". True enough, he was- and he continues to be.

March 8 Sunday.
We went through the shopping district of Tokyo. Indeed Tokyo is one of the fashion capitals of the world. Costumes which are worn only by mascots here in the Philippines are worn there by some people as they go about their everyday lives (wait.. I think didn't come out good). Walking around, you can see great stores by H&M, Gap, Zara among many others marking the metropolis. But the real thrill is the little stores on the sidewalks... the discount stores. You can get really good buys in these stores - if you invest time on it. Unfortunately for us, we do not have that luxury. We have to be in the airport by 530pm. So we have to say goodbye to shopping. Goodbye to the walking hello kittys and kerrokerroppis (did i spell that right?). Good bye to the electronic toilet bowl where your bottom gets a free shower in just one click of a button. Goodbye to the well disciplined system of traffic where the meaning of a red light is Stop... Goodbye to honesty in the marketplace where vendors can display their goods even at the edge of the sidewalk without fear of someone stealing it.

On our way back, we talked about how different - or better- Japan is from the Philippines yet in spite of the differences, we all agreed we still love going back home to Manila..

And why not.... Going back to Manila is like going back to your true love... You love her not because she's better or more beautiful... You just do.

PS: Thanks to my cousin Anggie for for being my financier (haha) and our interpreter during our stay there. Thanks for helping us out. I hope to see you soon.



The resto where one of the scenes in Kill Bill was shot









RP, Jeff and Erickson backstage






Sam, Jinky and Chit from ABS-CBN Special Projects, RP, Erick, Jeff and Jeff from TFC



This picture was taken in Shibuya intersection... The busiest intersection in the World :) This was the message Sam was trying to communicate in this picture



With my cousin Anggie






State of the Art Public Toilet. Only in Japan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment